Sunday, December 30, 2012

Charles Durning

I do not claim to be an aficionado of the work of Charles Durning.  What I can say is this...whenever I saw him in a movie, he was utterly believable.  I suppose with most character actor we all seem to remember how much they did rather than one role.  But for me, I can only think of him in his role as the crooked cop in "The Sting".  He played that role so well.  He was convincing as a mercenary cop, and any scene that he was in was made immeasurably better. 

I also remember his fine work in the brilliant comedy "Tootsie."  He was lovable and vulnerable as a widower who has his heart broken by a cross dresser.  That sentence on its own seems like an oddity, but he made the role truly heartfelt.  And, he was hilarious as the vicious owner of a frog legs franchise determined to hire Kermit as his spokesman in "The Muppet Movie".

Anyhow, he was a great actor, and also an American hero.  He stormed the beaches at Normandy and lived to tell about it.

I'm going to have to watch "The Sting" again sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment