Friday, April 20, 2012

Family Film Friday: A conversation on The Princess Bride

I have already posted many times on this movie.  But, since I have gotten into the habit of posting conversations with my kids, I wanted to revisit this movie one more time, since my kids love it so much.  Here's a conversation I had with my daughter about this extraordinary Rob Reiner film...


Joel:  "Last night, Mommy and Daddy were out on a date, and you watched a movie with Grandma and Papa...what did you watch?"
Corrie: "The Princess Bride."
Joel:  "That's right.  Now, Daddy first saw the "Princess Bride" when he was about 12 years old for the first time...so it's been about 24 years ago!  I remember the first time I saw it, I liked it a lot.  It was because it was kind of funny, but mainly because I really liked the story.  What was the thing you really liked about it the first time you saw it?"
Corrie:  "Well, I like the plot...there's at first Buttercup doesn't like Westley at all, and then she finally realizes she likes him.  And then. he supposedly dies, and then she's gone after by Prince Humperdink.  And then she's saved by Inigo, Fezzick, and Westey."
Joel:  "Who's your favorite character?"
Corrie:  "I think actually Inigo...he's just...I just like him pretty much.  I can't think of a reason for it..."
Joel:  "What's likable?  Do you like the fact that he is a swordsman?"
Corrie:  "Not really...I like the fencing part..."
Joel:  "What about him makes him your favorite?  Do you have the warmest feelings towards him?  You don't know why it is that he's your favorite?"
Corrie:  "Not really."
Joel:  "What's your favorite scene with Inigo...the fencing scene?"
Corrie:  "Yeah, probably.  Inigo is a little bit funny.  Sometimes he talks really fast and I can't figure out what he's saying-that makes me laugh."
Joel:  "What do you think of the 6 fingered man?"
Corrie:  "He's mean...that's the only way I can really say it...just mean, mean, mean."
Joel:  "What are some of your favorite lines in the movie...things people say that make you laugh a lot?  I'll give you a hint...'Hey Fezzick, are there rocks ahead?'"
Corrie:  "HAHAHAHA...RHYMING!"
Joel:  "What else?"
Corrie:  "I only dog paddle!"
Joel:  "Do you like Andre the Giant?  Fezzick?"
Corrie: "Yes yes."
Joel:  What does he remind you of?  If he were a toy, what kind of a toy would he be?"  Would he be a lego, or sort of like Stanley?"
Corrie:  "Sort of like Stanley!  Big huge gigantic teddy bear!"
Joel:  "There's one thing about the movie that I really like a lot, and it makes it different from other movies...what is different about the way the story is told that makes it different?  Can you think of anything?"
Corrie:  "It's a Grandfather telling it to his son?"
Joel:  "Yeah, how is that different from a lot of other movies?"
Corrie:  "Well, a lot of other movies are just movies, they aren't exactly told."
Joel:  "So, there's kind of two stories going on, isn't there...what are the two stories going on?"
Corrie:  "Well, one story is about a little boy who is sick and his grandfather reads him The Princess Bride, and the other story is "The Princess Bride."
Joel:  "I remember the first time I saw the movie I got so involved in the story, that I would forget that I was watching the story that was being told by the grandpa, and so I would be watching the movie and the little boy goes, 'Grandpa, grandpa wait!'  And I said, 'Oh yeah, there's a whole other story going on, did that happen to you?"
Corrie:  "Um, a bit.  There happened to me in a different way  I am so absorbed in the story that when the boy gets all annoyed about the story or the time when he was all concerned about Westley, when I just saw that I was like, 'Wah', I want to keep going with this story!"
Joel:  "So you felt like it stopped when you were interested in the story?  That's interesting."
Corrie:  "Like when there was just the most interesting time...you know what I mean?"
Joel:  "Okay, well thanks a lot for talking with me about it!"

4 comments:

  1. These conversations are a great addition to your blog. I get her responses! She is pretty wonderful. I have always adored this movie and I am thinking about showing it to Sydney for the first time......although the rous might scare her:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Maria! I was surprised how well Wes does with this movie, and he's 4. All kids are different though...Corrie would not have done as well as Wes...

      Delete
  2. Was this Andre the Giant's only movie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked it up, and while he did do some bit roles, it looks as though this was his only major role. He did several cameos and TV appearances, but none of them rival this one in terms of popularity. Thanks for the question!

    ReplyDelete